Yesterday I decided to make the animals treats from scratch. I’ve been wanting to make them treats for a while since Sophie is on a limited ingredient diet for allergies and I wanted to do something special for Bernie while he adjusts to our home. I realize he won’t know I actually made him treats, but doing something nice for him still felt good.
I found the dog treat recipe from Damn Delicious on Pinterest. It is an easy recipe with simple ingredients. I also added a banana to the mix for a bit more flavor.
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter – Be careful about the kind you use. Our vet told us a lot of brands are putting artificial sweeteners in their peanut butters and they can be dangerous for dogs. Check the ingredients!
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper
- Use a hand mixer to mix the pumpkin puree, peanut butter, eggs, and banana. Once they are well mixed, gradually add flour. As you add the flour, the dough should get less sticky. You may need to add a little more to get it so that you can roll it out.
- Working on a floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is 1/4″ thick. Cut out the treats and place them on the cookie sheet.
- Place in the over for 20-25 minutes. Mine were done in 20.
- Let them cool and let your pup enjoy!
- Chungah at Damn Delicious gives better instructions than I do if you get stuck.
I was skeptical as to whether Sophie and Bernie would like the treats but they gobbled them right up! David even tried one and said it was pretty good.
While I was at it, I figured I could whip up some treats for the cats too, but they were a total failure. They refuse to even try the treats so I am on the hunt for another recipe to try for them.
Have you made treats for your animals before? Do you have a good recipe to share?